Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Capital PUNishment

I am a pun addict. It's true. I revel in little clever bits of wordplay at every opportunity. And sometimes, that works its way into my roleplaying.

A few years back, I ran a series of campaigns in the superhero genre, and I managed to give every adventure some sort of punny title. Some were pretty thin, lame examples, to be sure. But adding the little titles really boosted my enjoyment of the game, and helped convey the episodic feel I was going for.

My favorite of these, incidentally, was for the adventure wherein an archaeologist friend of the team reports that he's lost contact with a friend and colleague of his that was supposed to let him borrow a jade heart, purportedly that of a demon, from Asia. That little encounter with a fear demon was entitled "Loaner of an Oni Heart", and inspired several sequels with 'Oni' puns in the title.

So now I'm back on that tradition for my Mutants and Masterminds game. I retroactively titled the first two sessions, and then this past weekend's outing with a mysterious alien virus striking as the team is in meetings to help shape their public image was entitled 'Viral Marketing'. A bit on the nose, but it's a good start.

I can't wait till I get to run 'Ronin Holiday'.

No comments:

Post a Comment