Thursday, June 2, 2011

The New DCU

I didn't put up my new comics haul yesterday because I was pressed for time; I'll get to it tonight or tomorrow, I expect.

Right now, all my geek braincells are preoccupied with DC's 'sort of reboot' bombshell they've announced for September, with 52 #1 issue, some continuity kept, and some discarded. (Rainbow Lanterns? In! Barbara Gordon as Oracle? Out!) Maybe it won't suck. Right now, I'm kind of shell-shocked by it all, honestly, so you get to watch me ramble about this post, from DC's The Source blog :

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/02/the-new-justice/

Justice League, by Jim Lee and Geoff Johns - I've kinda wanted to see a Geoff Johns JLA for a while now, and we've got the big guns back on the team, so that's a big jump over the current lackluster JLA series. On the other hand, Jim Lee's costume redesigns range from 'meh' to 'what the hell'. Flash and Cyborg in particular, and Wonder Woman's still got her stupid new outfit. (Along with a new editorial mandate that says female characters can't show leg, apparently.) It is nice to see Cyborg front and center on the JLA. I wonder who the replacement artist will be once Jim doesn't finish issue #3 on time.

Wonder Woman, by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang - Well, I love Cliff Chiang's art.

Aquaman, by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis - I was kind of interested in a new Aquaman series before I heard about this reboot. Since my enthusiasm levels have been sapped, I don't know if I give a dolphin's ass about the King of the Seas.

The Flash, by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccelatto - I always worry when they let artists write.

The Fury of Firestorm, by Gail Simone, Ethan Van Sciver, and Yildray Cinar - Our first confirmed full character reboot. A new origin for Firestorm. I love Gail Simone, but damn it, I just can't bring myself to care about this new version of Firestorm.

The Savage Hawkman, by Tony Daniel and Philip Tan - I can't tell from the solicitation text whether or not this is an 'origin story'. If it is, the implications to the Justice Society trouble me deeply. I mean, yes, Hawkman needs his continuity roto-rootered, but I like Hawkman bridging the JSA and JLA.

Green Arrow, by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens - This is another one that doesn't make it clear if it's an origin story or not. Green Arrow may not have even been rebooted, but I wouldn't mind clearing his murder of Prometheus from his backstory. Unfortunately, Green Arrow wasn't that interesting with a version of the DCU I liked to prop him up - with this new, unknown DCU, there's just no reason to buy this whatsoever.

Justice League International, by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti - This seems to follow straight from the Generation Lost series, but with the 'reboot' - does it? Or is it a coincidence the pre-Flashpoint DCU set up a new version of the JLI, and the post-Flashpoint DCU has one as well? I hate this ambiguous crap, and I say that as someone who loves Crisis on Infinite Earths. The presence of Guy Gardner confirms that Hal's not the only Earth GL, so that suggests there's some continuity.. Booster's new design looks really stupid. And none of the girls are showing legs, but none of the girls on this cover were last seen in leg-revealing costumes, anyway.

Mister Terrific, by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson - I like that Mr. Terrific is getting a book of his own, a new costume design, and an interesting sounding premise. I hate that I've never heard of the people working on it.

Captain Atom, by JT Krul and Freddie Williams II - So they're giving him the full Dr. Manhattan treatment. Yawn. I also really don't like Williams' art style, so while some of the other titles on this list I'm still waffling on, this one is almost certainly a pass.

DC Universe Presents, by various - The return of the anthology title. I approve.

Of the eleven confirmed titles, I am somewhat interested in six of them, I think. Sorry Aquaman, Firestorm, Green Arrow, Captain Atom, and Mr. Terrific. Honestly, Flash, Hawkman, and Wonder Woman are on the bubble too.

Maybe it's not too late to start collecting pogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment